The number 40 is one of the most popular numbers to appear in the Bible. It’s up there in the top 10 as it is used 146 times – often to signify completion, fulfilment or a trial.
Here are just a few examples:
- There were 40 days between Jesus’ resurrection and ascension
- The great flood lasted 40 days and 40 nights
- Jesus was tempted by Satan for 40 days while he fasted in the wilderness
- The Jewish people wandered in the desert for 40 years
- Moses was on the Mount for 40 days, and
- Jonah proclaimed God’s word ’40 more days and Ninevah will be overturned.’
Can you find the rest?
Our 40th Celebration Challenges
If you have found more 40s in the Bible well done!
No birthday is fun without games and puzzles, so here are some other challenges for you:
Q As the world faces up to the challenges presented by the COVID pandemic, do you know where the word quarantine comes from?
A It is derived from the Italian words quaranta giorni which means 40 days – the time ships were isolated in harbours as far back as the 14th century to protect Europe’s coastal cities from plague epedemics.
Q Can you find a number in the English language whose letters, when you spell them out, appear strictly in alphabetical order?
A I can only find 40!
Q What is the only temperature in degrees that is equal in both the Fahrenheit and Celsius scales?
A There is only one point in the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales where they both become equal and that’s -40.
Well done! I suppose you deserve 40 winks after that!